- REGIONAL PROGRAMME SUPPORT TO PANDEMIC PREVENTION IN THE ECOWAS REGION (RPPP): funded by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and implemented by GIZ
- The regional organizational level; all 15 ECOWAS member States take part in the project's regional activities, with a special focus on: Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia.
Start date: September 2016
End date: December 2019
Project Development Goal:
- The people of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is better protected against epidemics (Joint Program with KfW).
The advice provided to ECOWAS Member States by the ECOWAS Commission and specialized institutions and agencies with regard to the implementation of the selected mechanisms in the field of epidemic control in accordance with the International Health Regulations is strengthened. (GIZ program)
- Extrant A: Communication on health risks in relation to infectious diseases and in a gender sensitive way is improved in the ECOWAS region
- Extrant B: Communication between the ECOWAS Commission, specialized institutions and agencies and the national level in the field of epidemic control is strengthened.
- Extrant C: The ECOWAS Commission, specialized agencies and agencies are better able to advise Member States in the area of epidemic control in relation to enhanced human capacity.
- C1: Improvement of communication on health risks in a gender-sensitive manner in the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) region
- C2: Strengthening interinstitutional communication and coordination between the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), its specialized institutions and agencies and the national level in relation to health
- C3: Strengthening human resources to support Member States of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) to better implement their disease control tasks.
- Steering committee (yet to be set up, TOR validated)
- Tutellage: ECOWAS Commission
- Operational coordination: GIZ and WAHO/RSCDC
Implementing Institutions or Agencies:
- West African Health Organization (WAHO) à Regional coordination of the project
- Regional Center for Surveillance and Disease Control (RSCDC)
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) (Financial and technical management)
- National Coordination Institutes (NCI)
- Ministry of Health of countries
- In collaboration with WAHO Liaison Officers and IHR Focal Persons as well as GIZ health programs in the respective countries
Linkage of each of the activities with WAHO 2016-2020 Strategic plan:
The regional project is linked to the following priority programs of the 2016-2020 RSP:
- Health information and research for health (P1);
- Disease control (P2);
- Epidemics and other health emergencies (P3);
- Health Promotion (P4);
- Governance of the health system (P9);
- Human Resources in the Health Sector (P10);
- Technical Assistance to Member States (P11) ;
- Technical and financial cooperation and harmonization of policies (P12);
- Institutional Strengthening (P13)